The abacus system of mental calculation is a system where users mentally visualize an abacus to do calculations. … The standard abacus can be used to perform addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication; the abacus can also be used to extract square-roots and cubic roots
Just consider each bead being 1, period. You have 10 tens, or a hundred, in your abacus, and that goes a long way in explaining tens and ones or 2-digit place value to children in kindergarten and first grade. It is best if the abacus has five beads in alternating colors, like on the abacus in the right.
- Boosts better and faster calculation skills.
- Increases endurance for stress and pressure.
- Improves problem-solving abilities.
- Teaches clearer logical reasoning.
- Sharpens concentration and observance.
- Develops confidence and self-esteem.
- Heightens stronger mental visualisation skills.
- Betters reading and writing.